Tuesday, July 3, 2012

A Little History...

  This past October, my husband and I began looking into the possibility of buying our first home. We had our doubts that it would be possible with both of us having stacks of student loans, but our best decision was to visit with a loan officer of a local mortgage company and begin discussions. We quickly realized that through a special loan program our dreams of being homeowners could come true. Thus we began our search, remaining near our family and between our places of work. After visiting several unusual homes, including one with a toilet (1/4 bath) shoe horned underneath a stairwell, we stumbled upon one that was only 1 mile from our apartment.
   It was built in 1989, and was a bit dated and dirty, but it sat upon 8 acres of land and had great potential. The best feature was that although it was literally across the street from the city boarder the property qualified for the special loan program we were hoping for. We made some compromises, for example, only 2 bedrooms on the second floor, no garage, and only one full bath, but it has room to grow. Purchasing our home was a bit slow going given that it was a foreclosed property, but it worked out that we didn't have a mortgage payment overlap our apartment lease, yet we had a month to work on renovations prior to moving.

7 comments:

  1. Wow congratulations on buying your new home. One of my favorite things to do is look at houses and think about different projects I can come up with. I am sure Pinterest will help you decide how to make it home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is wonderful Chantal. Congratulations! I was very excited once I purchased my home 5 years ago too. I remodeled my home completely which took about 6 months. I also refiananced my home in June. I am sure you guys got a great interest rate! Enjoy your new home! Fay Hrysikos

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW 8 acres!! Where are you located? I love it - it reminds me of my first home in Colorado Springs. We put a second story on it - that's a long story I won't share. Home ownership is crazy. I just bought my 5th home in May. Serial homes not total!

    We could have a joint blog.

    Can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! I know you and your husband are very excited! I also want to buy a home that sits on many acres of land. I would love to see pictures of the inside. I love looking at the different layouts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We just bought our first home in April...I know the feeling of being overwhelmed but excited! Thanks for sharing all of the adventures you have with us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on your new home. It looks like a great location. Space is always good! (Unless you have to mow it all!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful Home for Wonderful People...owning a home is one of the best adventures of your life...enjoy it..get some rest you deserve it...:)

    ReplyDelete