Friday, July 20, 2012

Who Says Moths aren't as Pretty as Butterflies?

My husband spotted this on the side of our house on his way back from running errands.
It's a Luna moth. Yes! Like the Lunesta commercials. I was surprised by its size. It was seriously a good 3.5 to 4 inches across. In case anyone is wondering, an easy way to tell the difference between a butterfly and a moth is how their wings fold. Moths fold their wings behind them in a triangle. Butterflies fold their wings up above them.

4 comments:

  1. Aren't those amazing! We seem them at school sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! I never knew that bit of information between a moth and a butterfly. That is a beautiful moth. I would of catergorized it as a butterfly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow! This is a pretty moth. I have always thought that they weren't the prettiest things in the world myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was interesting to see it take off. It took off like it was a very large and heavy bird just gradually gaining altitude. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete